Our Scholarship Call
This call is aimed at budding researchers with aspirations towards towards the challenges of applied research. We offer a unique learning opportunity in a multidisciplinary research project on the isle of Gozo, Malta. Together with the University of Leuven, Expeditions offers full and partial scholarships for the 2023 Off the Beaten Track Summer Program. These bursaries are granted on a competitive basis, based on a research proposal.
The scholarship covers all, or part of, the program fee. Please note that transport is not included in the program fee, while boarding (housing & meals), tuition and all administrative costs are.Eligibility
- Undergraduate and graduate students
- PhD students
- Anyone with a genuine interest in anthropology
- Previous participants of the project
- No age limits
Research proposal selection is NOT based on academic merit or complexity. We are looking for enthusiasm, dedication and creativity.
The call is open to all. In the past years, students who were not enrolled in an anthropology program have received scholarships for the project. Submit Proposal
The basic guidelines
- Send us 2 or more research concepts
- 150-250 words per research concept.
- Submission must be done through the online form that is linked at the end of this step by step walkthrough.
- Use the form once per proposal, submit and reload the form to start a next proposal.
- You will receive an automated email per submission.
- The deadline for submissions (first stage) was January 19th, 2023 (GMT+1). Scholarship submissions after this date will be ignored.
- There is a mandatory minimum of 2 proposals to be eligible. You are allowed to send in as many research proposals as you like. All submissions will compete equally.
- Applicants are encouraged to be creative and think outside the box in the topic, approach, and methods. However, originality is not a requirement.
- The research should be feasible within the context of the Off the Beaten Track three week program.
- Browse through www.omertaa.org to find exemplary research papers of previous participants.
First you will need to submit a regular application
in order to have your research proposals reviewed by our board.
When your regular application gets approved for participation, you will have the opportunity to register for the program.
If your regular application does not get approved, your scholarship submissions will still be valid: don’t worry, refusal of applications is often due to a lack of available slots while scholarship spots are reserved until the outcome of this process is decided.
If you are not registered before the scholarship outcome, we cannot guarantee that you can enlist in your preferred session. This will be dependent on session availability.First review
After the proposal deadline, the scholarship review board will select 15 to 20 candidates to progress to the second stage where you will be asked to submit a more detailed research plan by February 27th. This announcement will be made on or before January 14th by email, informing you on whether you are selected for this next and final step.
This research plan, together with your application, will be presented to the review board as your final submission. Second review
The final submissions will be ranked, and scholarships will be divided according to this ranking.
The two top ranked proposals will be granted a full scholarship, others may receive a partial scholarship. It is at the discretion of the review board to divide the scholarship fund.Please understand that…
The number of students accepted in the program is limited. Scholarships will be granted only after the completion of the selection procedure, while registration is open to non-scholarship participants. In case you wish to join the project even if you do not receive a scholarship from us, we advise to register
through the regular application procedure
as early as possible since non-scholarship slots are usually filled before the scholarship deadlines.
The final announcement on your scholarship grant will be made by email before the 7th of March.
Here's the form
for submitting your research proposal.