This call is aimed at budding researchers with creative and open minds towards the challenges of applied research. We offer a unique learning opportunity in a multidisciplinary research project on the isle of Gozo, Malta. Expeditions and the University of Leuven offer a 20.000 euro scholarship fund to cover part or all of the tuition fee for the 2017 Malta Summer School. Scholarships are granted on a competitive basis, based on a research proposal.
- Undergraduate and graduate students
- PhD students
- Everyone with a genuine interest in anthropology
- Previous participants of the project
Selection is NOT based on academic merit, originality or complexity. We aim for enthusiasm, dedication and creativity. In the past years even students who were not enrolled in an anthropology program received scholarships for the project.
Candidates are invited to propose two or more creative research concepts that can be performed during the summer school on Gozo (Malta).
From these proposals, the scholarship review board will select 15 candidates to work out a more detailed research plan within a deadline of two months (January/February). These 15 proposals will be ranked and scholarships will be divided according to this ranking. The top ranked proposals will be granted a full scholarship, others will receive a partial scholarship.
In the first stage:
- You are allowed to send in as many research ideas as you like. All submissions will compete equally.
- Applicants are asked to be creative, and to focus on why the research is valuable.
After initial acceptance:
- Applicants will develop further one selected proposal under assistance of our tutors (via e-mail or skype).
- Elaboration on feasibility, methodology and research layouts are to be fleshed out in this stage only.
- Final research proposals should be submitted within two months after initial acceptance.
How can I apply for this initial selection?
- Send us 2 or more research concepts (but at least two!).
- 150-250 words per research concept.
- Submitting can only be done through this online form.
- The deadline for submissions (first stage) is January 5th, 2017.
Please note that the number of students accepted in the program is limited. Scholarships will be granted only after the completion of the selection procedure, while registration is open to non-scholarship participants. In case you wish to join the project even if you do not receive a scholarship, we advise to register through the regular procedure as early as possible since non-scholarship slots are usually filled by the end of December.
When will you be notified?
Shortly after the deadline (January 5th), our scholarship board will decide on which 15 proposals make it to the next step. From there on you will be asked to further flesh out the selected proposal, you will get about six weeks to complete this. By mid March 2017 all candidates will be notified wether or not they received a (partial or full) scholarship.
We strongly recommend to register earlier because slots will be filled up soon. If you get a scholarship eventually, you will get it refunded.